In December 2011 a few RBH members created a group to explore ways to put the principles of Humanism into action. By working together we hope to make a positive impact in the world for both people and their environment.
The Community Outreach Group was founded both as a group activity and as a way for individuals to fulfill the following Humanist Affirmations:
Securing justice and fairness in society and eliminating discrimination and intolerance.
Supporting the disadvantaged and the handicapped so they can help themselves.
Protecting and enhancing the earth, to preserve it for future generations, and to eliminate inflicting needless suffering on other species.
JOIN US: There are many wonderful opportunities to make a difference. Please join us at any of our meetings or activities. If you are interested, please contact Irma Lester or Pat Barr (see below).
DELIVERY VOLUNTEERS NEEDED: We are in need of people to help deliver the donated items. If you are interested, please contact Irma Lester or Pat Barr (see below)
CONTACTS: RBH – Community Outreach Group – Humanism in Action
Chairperson: Irma Lester: firstname.lastname@example.org or 732-840-1434
Vice-Chair: Pat Barr: email@example.com or 848-333-4542
Communications Coordinator: Trudy Lagan: firstname.lastname@example.org or 732-530-9123
PLEASE CONTRIBUTE TO THESE 2014
UPCOMING COLLECTIONS & PROJECTS!
- April 13th Forum Collection – Will collect toiletries, paper products, laundry soap, garbage bags, new pillows, new sheets, and / or new towels for Visitation Relief Center which helps families affected by Sandy
- April 26th 10 - Noon – Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep in Bradley Beach
- May 3rd – Volunteer Day at Visitation Relief Center
- May 11th Forum Collection – LED flashlights and lanterns for Tent City
- June 8th Forum Collection – Camp Quest New England (we support this Summer camp for Humanist kids) They are looking for clothing the kids can use for theater / variety show performances. . .also art supplies.
- July 13th Forum Collection – Canned food for Ocean County Hunger Relief
- September 14th Forum Collection – School Supplies for Family Promise of Monmouth
- October 12th Forum Collection – Welcome Baskets for families moving back into their homes via Visitation Relief Center
- November 9th Forum Collection – Care packages for Atheist Soldiers via MAAF.
- December 14th Forum Collection - Cleaning Supplies for HABcore homeless housing and training.
2014 Collections & Projects
- January Forum Collection – Collected pillows, sheets, toiletries, gloves & hats for Valentine House in Point Pleasant Beach
- January – Created 115 soup and sandwich bag lunches for residents of Tent City
- February Forum Collection – Collected donations to create “Moving Out” baskets for the Family Promise of Monmouth.
- March Forum Collection – Collected cleaning supplies, toiletries, and baby items for Dottie’s House.
2013 Collections & Projects
- January Forum Collection - Collected first-aid supplies, toiletries & cleaning supplies for HABcore in Red Bank. HABcore, Inc. provides permanent and transitional supportive housing to low income persons who are homeless, disabled, or unable to care for themselves.
- February Forum Collection - Collected lots of shampoo, shaving cream, razors, hats, and pillows for Valentine House in Point Pleasant Beach.
- March Forum Collection - Collected baby items, toiletries & cleaning supplies for Dottie’s House. Dottie's House is a transitional housing facility in Brick, NJ, designed to aid domestic violence survivors.
- April Forum Collection - Collected New & used books for AAUW
- April – Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep in Bradley Beach.
- May Forum Collection - Collected Non-perishable food for the People’s Pantry
- June Forum Collection - Collected Food, toiletries, paper products & cleaning supplies for HABcore, Family Promise, and Tent City at our Homelessness forum.
- July Forum Collection - Collected Food, toiletries, paper products & cleaning supplies for Calico Cat.
- July - Stuffed 1100 envelopes for HABcore’s summer appeal
- September Forum Collection – Collected school supplies for Family Promise
- October Forum Collection – Collected new and used items for Arc of Monmouth
- October - Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep in Bradley Beach.
- November Forum Collection – Collected blankets, gloves, new socks, winter clothes, pots & pans, toiletries, bottled water, gas cards (for generator fuel), paper products, and gift cards to Home Depot for Tent City in Lakewood.
- December Forum Collection – Collected donations and created 10 care packages for atheist military personnel via MAAF.
2012 Collections & Projects
- February Forum Collection - Collected paper products and firewood for residents of the Tent City in Lakewood.
- March Forum Collection - Collected cleaning supplies for HABcore of Monmouth & Middlesex. HABcore, Inc. provides permanent and transitional supportive housing to low income persons who are homeless, disabled, or unable to care for themselves.
- April Forum Collection - Collected women’s and children’s clothing for 180 Turning Lives Around.
- April - Bradley Beach Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep
- May Forum Collection - Collected clothing for Big Brothers and Big Sisters of Monmouth & Middlesex
- June Forum Collection - Collected art, science, games and sports supplies for Camp Quest New England in Connecticut.
- July Forum Collection – Collected paper goods, bottled water, toiletries, plastic utensils, blankets, clothes, boots and shoes for the Tent City in Lakewood
- September Forum Collection - Collected baby items, toiletries & cleaning supplies for Dottie’s House. Dottie's House is a transitional housing facility in Brick, NJ, designed to aid domestic violence survivors
- October Forum Collection - Collected New & used items for Goodwill.
- October - Bradley Beach Clean Ocean Action Beach Sweep. Eight humanists helped clean Bradley Beach for two hours.
- October – We raised $695 for Leukemia & Lymphoma Foundation’s "Light the Night" walk to fund cancer research
- November Forum Collection – Collected food and toiletries for Calico Cat in Middletown.
- December Forum Collection - Collected winter gloves, toiletries, paper products, and water for the Tent City in Lakewood.