Also see: Press Release August 2007 - RBH Begins 5th Year
"Discussing the Great Questions of Life"
First we must thank the friendly folks at the New Jersey Humanists Network for their advice and guidance in forming Red Bank Humanists. A special thanks to Lisa and Tim Ridge, who spent many hours answering hundreds of questions and patiently making wise suggestions. They are founding members of RBH! We are proud to be affiliated with NJHN and encourage you to support their organization. NJHN holds monthly meetings in Bridgewater, New Jersey and presents a variety of interesting guest speakers.
Red Bank Humanists has held monthly meetings since November 9, 2003. A survey was presented at our meeting on February 8, 2004, to gather information about potential members and their interests. It provided much useful information about those who have been participating in the meetings, including their suggestions for meeting topics and an indication of their intended level of participation in the group. A leadership committee was established on April 4, 2004, consisting of: Joe Krimko, Lisa Ridge, Tim Ridge, Eric Seldner, Ron Steelman, Ivan Steinberg, and Tim Zebo. An organizational plan was discussed for the creation of a legal entity to be known as Red Bank Humanists, Inc. Those assembled agreed:
1) Ron Steelman is to serve as the Interim President.
2) The group will establish itself as a not-for-profit organization and file for status as a 501c3 educational entity in compliance with the I.R.S. This will enable the organization to accept tax-deductible contributions.
3) Those present volunteered to serve as the “Leadership Committee” and to assist the Interim President in his planning of the monthly meetings, oversight of organizational funds, helping to publicize meetings and to communicate with members, and to promote membership in the organization.
4) RBH will seek mutually beneficial affiliations with New Jersey Humanists Network, Council for Secular Humanism, American Humanist Association, and Center for Inquiry.
June 4, 2004 - We became Red Bank Humanists, Inc., a non-profit corporation in the state of New Jersey. Original incorporators were Ron Steelman, Elaine Steelman, and Tim Zebo.
September 19, 2004 - First Annual Membership meeting held. Board members elected: Katrina Comolli, Bruce Fowler, Eric Seldner, Ron Steelman, Ivan Steinberg, Arthur Weiner, and Tim Zebo.
September 25, 2004 - First Board meeting and election of officers: Ron Steelman - President, Tim Zebo - Vice President, Katrina Comolli - Secretary, and Ivan Steinberg - Treasurer.
April 3, 2005 - Board Meeting
- Elaine Steelman was accepted as replacement for resigning Board member, Tim Zebo.
- Bruce Fowler was elected as Vice President, filling the vacated office.
- The Board accepted the Nominating Committee's slate for the three Board positions open for election to a two-year term. The candidates were the three Board members whose terms had expired: Katrina Comolli, Eric Seldner, and Ivan Steinberg. They all accepted the nominating committee's invitation to run for re-election. Further, any Member may nominate a candidate for election to the Board.
- Discussion began on the proposed Strategic Plan for 2005/2006, which is to be completed prior to the Annual Meeting in May.
May 8, 2005 - Annual Membership Meeting
Board of Directors following the election:
Ron Steelman, President
Bruce Fowler, Vice-President
Katrina Comolli, Secretary
Ivan Steinberg, Treasurer